1. If you could watch one play or musical for the rest of your life, what would it be?
Spring Awakening because some things never go out of style
2. Who is your favorite movie star that has crossed over to the Broadway stage?
umm I don’t really know that many…I’ll just say dan rad
3. What play or musical has changed your life?
Spring Awakening (this is going to be a common theme)
4. Have you ever been disappointed in seeing a stage performance after watching the film version first? (i.e. the movie was better than the stage production)
well I saw Hairspray on stage after the movie and I think, although it was good, the stage was not as good as the film.
5. What department of the theatre do you work in? (Techie, Actor, Costume, etc.)
ACTOR ALL THE WAYYY but I’ve stage managed a couple of shows before
6. What show do you think has the best costuming?
I think the costumes in Hair are awesome
7. Favorite Tony’s speech.
I have to say Lin-Manuel Miranda, in 2008 for In the Heights
8. Favorite Tony’s performance.
OMG no I love them all…I loved it when Green Day came on in 2010. And Spring Awakening, obviously.
9. Have you been to the Tony Awards?
Yes because I’m Sutton Foster LOL JK no of course I haven’t
10. Do you dress up for the theatre or wear casual?
Depends on the theatre and the show, but I’d never go in slob clothes, nor would I ever go in a ball gown
11. Favorite character of all time?
Too hard…Melchior Gabor is amazing. I also love Diana Goodman. and Elphaba, obviously. Also Arnold Cunningham. But…hmm, I think I may have to say a tie between Johnny ‘Rooster’ Byron and my Melchi.
12. Most played song on your iPod?
Touch Me from SA
13. Do you dream of being on Broadway? Why or why not?
Yes, like, every single day!!!
14. What attracted you to the world of theatre?
because theatre saved my life and it’s never finished and it’s inspiring and beautiful and I just want to stand on a stage every night
15. Diva off : Patti LuPone or Bernadette Peters?
Patti LuPone. Sorry Bernie.
16. Would you dress up as a broadway character for halloween? If you have, who did you dress up as?
Yep, last year I dressed up as Christine from Phantom
17. What’s something you’ve learned from musicals?
everything I know
18. Funniest stage production you’ve seen?
Jerusalem. Hands down.
19. Have you ever sat front row for a performance?
Yes, when I saw Jerusalem I was up at 4am to queue and I got a front row seat after sitting on the street for 6 hours. I cherished the front row every second because I knew it would never happen again.
20. If you could replace any show that’s currently on Broadway or West End with any show of your choice, what show would you replace and replace it with?
close billy elliot FOR EVER and put Next to Normal on. also close legally blonde (west end) and put on In the Heights. also CLOSE MAMMA MIA BECAUSE THAT CRAPASS SHOW HAS BEEN HERE LONG ENOUGH and bring back Spring Awakening
21. Favorite musical revival.
22. Favorite long running show. (*see google for a complete list of the longest running shows)
23. Favorite tour/cast.
I loved the tour cast of Spring Awakening, the first US National Tour, with Kyle and Blake and Christy etc
24. Try to list all the shows you’ve seen.
Oh god…Wicked, Spring Awakening, Jerusalem, Legally Blonde, Joseph, Deathtrap, Chitty Chitty Bang Bang, We Will Rock You, Sister Act, Hairspray, As You Like It, Tell Me On A Sunday, Grease…that’s all I can think off the top of my head.
25. Favorite onstage pair.
Jonathan Groff and Lea Michele
26. ‘I Believe’ - Spring Awakening or The Book of Mormon?
Noooo this is too hard…guess I’ll have to say Spring Awakening.
27. Roxie Hart or Velma Kelly?
Velma all the way
28. Hairspray - stage performance or 2007 film version?
Well I’ve seen both and I think the stage version, although perfectly fine, just lacked something which the film has.
29. Is there a cast recording where you list to the whole thing straight through without skipping a song?
I can only do it with Spring Awakening
30. Who should Christine have been with - the Phantom or Raoul?
The Phantom. It’s called the Phantom of the Opera, not the Raoul of the Opera, duh
31. Do you sometimes think that the reprise is better than the original? Give an example.
I think Falling Slowly Reprise in Once is better. And Listening to You Reprise in Tommy is better.
32. Angel of Music or Music of the Night?
Music of the Night
33. John Gallagher Jr in American Idiot or Spring Awakening?
Spring Awakening. He’s awesome in both, but Moritz Stiefel IS Johnny Gallagher, he’s just mesmerising in SA. And I’ve only seen a dodgy quality youtube video and he is one of the best actors in a role I’ve ever seen.
34. West Side Story - Jets vs Sharks
Sharks. I’ve done this show twice, and been a Shark both times so I have a kind of ingrained loyalty to Puerto Rico. Also they have better songs.
35. Which song from Wicked is more overexposed - Popular or Defying Gravity?
Defying Gravity. EVERYONE knows that song and it’s been covered so much.
36. Do you find it weird or frustrating that when a musical is made into a film, they rarely use Broadway performers?
I don’t find it weird, because I understand that the producers want to put famous people in to generate more buzz/publicity/money etc, but it does frustrate me. I’m deeply nervous about the Les Mis film and the casting announcements for the SA film
37. Next to Normal - do you think Gabe is the villain of the show? Why or why not?
he’s neither. Gabe…he’s tricky. You don’t know if he’s real, or part of Diana’s mind. I think he just wants to be loved. And, yeah, he does some flat fucking crazy shit. but at the end of the day, he’s 18, he’s lonely, people can’t see him. He wants attention and love and affection. I am the One Reprise affirms this; I think the way he sings desperately to Dan is heartbreaking, and his shocked, happy, relieved, tearful, ‘Hi Dad’ at the end…he’s not all bad.
38. Favorite couple from RENT.
Collins and Angel
39. Are there any Broadway stars from your hometown or state?
40. Favorite Disney movie turned into a Broadway stage production.